Thursday, June 26, 2008

June: Cooking, Music, and Books

As you know I am a picky eater. And fickle. That being said it is easy to understand why finding meals that I like is a chore. Once I do find meals I like I can get sick of them fast, so I am oftentimes looking for new recipes to try. It seems like this month has been one of those times. Just about every dinner Jonathan or I have made has been one we have never tried. Here is a partial list of the new recipes-
most of them came from my cookbooks or Taste of Home Magazines.

-stir fried scallops and pea pods
-chowmein chicken salad with turkey on biscuits
-volcano fold over pizzas
-chicken and penne dijon
-bacon cheeseburger buns
-hamburger macaroni and cheese
-mexican chicken manicotti
-ginger glazed pork chops
-chicken breasts in cilantro and parsley sauce
-stir fried basil chicken
-spicy sausage manicotti
-stromboli sandwiches
-ginger chicken

About 75 percent of those are keepers so I am happy about that. The next couple weeks I am going to try-

-creamy chicken enchiladas
-roast chicken with grape and blue cheese salad
-spicy nacho bake
-guilt-free mac n cheese
-sauteed chicken and peppers with coconut rice
-chicken salad in bib lettuce cups

I have also been on the hunt for some new music (I get tired of music fast too.) I found out I can check out 20 CDs from the library at a time! I had no idea because I figured it was the same as the 4 movie limit. I took advantage of that new information and went to town.
First the albums/bands I liked:
-Spoon- Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga and Gimme Fiction
-Bright Eyes- Cassadega
-Radiohead- In Rainbows
-Keane- Under the Iron Sea
-The Decemberists- The Crane Wife

I did not like:
-Neutral Milk Hotel
-Belle and Sebastian
-Nelly Furtado
-Jack Johnson

I haven't decided yet if I like:
-Death Cab- Narrow Stairs
-Arcade Fire- Funeral

I tried to get caught up on some reading and got a ginormous amount of books from the library. I have slowed down on the reading though. I'll have to get back on it.

I read:
-A Wrinkle in Time
-Clair de Lune
-A Single Shard
-Island of the Aunts
-Mirror Mask
-Flour Babies
-A Wind in the Door
-The Loud Silence of Francine Green

Currently I am trying to finish reading:
-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I still have these to read:
-Celandine
-Greenwitch
-A great and terrible beauty
-Book of a thousand days
-The love curse of the Rumbaughs
-The golden dream of Carlo Chuchio
-Over sea, under stone
-The MI strategy bank : 800+ multiple intelligence ideas for the elementary classroom
-The teenage liberation handbook : how to quit school and get a real life and education
-The well-managed classroom
-What Jamie saw
-Out of the dust

Were those the most exciting lists or what?!

1 comment:

Michael and Mandy said...

Sage! I don't see how you can call yourselves picky with a list of meals like that. That was very ecclectic and adventurous. Why didn't you like Jack Johnson? I like him. Especially his Curious George soundtrack - for kids and adults.