Wednesday, February 21, 2007

thawing out


the weather is finally warming up! it has been so miserably cold outside for the past few weeks. it feels a lot colder than it did last year, and it has snowed a lot more. this week it's been in the 40's. my heart is beginning to be a little happy from the warmth.


when school started last september jonathan and i were jogging three times a week here at Lafayette Park (these pics are after an icestorm):






















our best friend the sad toad


After Christmas though, i lost all motivation for jogging so we stopped going. now that it is warming up i think i better start going again. especially since i work in a bakery where nibbling all day is getting me fat.


speaking of work... sometimes (okay a lot of times) i get tired of brandon (fellow pastry chef) always checking up on me and watching me and making sure i do everything right or his way. this list is to humble me:

things i have screwed up

  • 24 tartlet bases
  • two batches of lemon bars (it was the recipe, not me)
  • vanilla sponge cake (did that one yesterday)
  • lots of things i can't cut straight- cheesecake, pecan bars, tiramisu etc...
  • made three sheets of brownies when i should have made four (used wrong recipe)

my memory fails me at the moment. check this list often as it will definitely grow.
now to make myself feel better, a list of things i have made succesfully by myself w/out help or constant supervision-

  • chocolate chunk cookies
  • white chocolate almond cookies
  • peanut butter cookies
  • oatmeal raisin cookies
  • oat bars (blueberry and cranberry)
  • brownies (the first time i made them)
  • pound cake
  • pecan bars (w/some help)
  • ganache
  • assemblage of nadoz desserts daily
  • orange bavarian
  • numerous recipes scaled out to a tee
  • bread pudding

Hopefully this list will also grow.





1 comment:

alicia marie said...

so proud of you, you little pastry chef! and you have to screw things up so that you know how to do it the right way from experience.

The icey pictures make me chilled. It was 65 here today...we broke out the flip flops. You MUST visit!