Sunday, July 22, 2007

"Camping"

"Camping" was fun and miserable at the same time. First the fun. We went to Eminence, Missouri which is a little town in the Ozarks about three and a half hours drive from St. Louis. The drive was long but absolutely gorgeous.The Ozarks are the closest thing we got to mountains, which isn't close at all, but they are still pretty. You will see what I mean in a moment. We camped at a nice campground with running water and a more than decent bathroom. Jonathan was dissappointed because it was also popular, but I don't know what he expected- he found it in the atlas and it was listed on a website- but somehow he still got it in his head it would be more secluded. The campground was also about 25 steps from a really nice river, which was the best part. It wasn't too hot or too cold, and was just deep enough to get a good swim. Here is our camp site, and some views of the river and from the river.


It was also next to a couple trails. We hiked one the first day and it took us to Blue Springs which claims to have some of the bluest water of all the natural springs in the world. It really was the bluest water I have seen though and beautiful. Swimming was not allowed which was too bad because I was dripping in sweat and totally miserable. It was hot and humid. And I had hiked almost two miles in jeans. Anyway here is the spring. Our camera doesn't do it much justice.



Anyway we got back and went straight for the river to cool off. We ate dinner (chili from a can, not exciting, I know) Then we took our chairs out by the river and read for a long time. Then we built a little fire and made s'mores. It ain't camping without s'mores. Then we decided to hit the hay, I mean the tent, at about ten o' clock. After getting up at 5:30 and driving and hiking and swimming all day we were tired. Meanwhile it was getting dark and the bugs were starting to come out. I don't think I have ever seen so many bugs flying around in my life. Anyway we got in the tent and it was unbearably hot and of course unbearably humid. We were hot and sticky and we were not cooling off. So we laid down and wondered how we could ever possibly fall asleep in such conditions. But Jonathan has this thing, this *special* talent. Once he lies down and shuts his eyes- he's out like a light, and there is no coming back. So I have to face the awful night alone. It's so stuffy in the tent I feel like I can't even breathe. Oh yeah and the chorus of creatures outside was a bit LOUD. The cicadas were just chirping away along with a dozen other kinds of noisy bugs. It was nuts I felt like I was in a jungle. And what is with bugs and light anyway? We had our flashlight on in the tent and we heard some type of LARGE bug literally trying to burrow his way into our tent as fast as he could to try to get to the light. It freaked us out so we just turned the light off. Anyways... several hours later it finally cooled off enough for me to cuddle up under a blanket and go to sleep (I can't sleep without a blanket on me, but how could I have a blanket on when it was so hot?)
In the morning Jonathan convinced me to take a hike on the other trail. We hiked up to this view which was lovely, but once again I was hot and sticky and miserable.




I found this little turtle on the trail. I am sure you are sick of seeing turtles but too bad. He is too cute and he reminds me of the other little turtle friend I made.
After the hike we cleaned up and drove home. It was a nice drive but I was too tired to stay awake so I missed most of the scenery. Unfortunately we got a flat tire, but it happened just as we pulled into a gas station. Anyway we finally made it home and I have never been gladder to take a shower.
So here is the moral of the story: If you live in a dry climate with mountains (ahem, Idaho) and like to go camping... THANK THE LORD that you can go on a hike without dying of heat and getting eaten alive by bugs, and can sleep cozily without suffocating from humidityheat or having to listen to this and this and this all night. I don't know... I may just be sticking to day trips from now on...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha, ha, ha. That is so cool you put links to the bug sounds! I'm going to play them all night long while I try to sleep.

Kelly said...

Well the springs were pretty at least. It's been a tad humid here this week and it's just gross. I can't imagine actually living in a humid place again. Yuck!
Mike and Jonathan seem to be a lot alike. Mike lays down and is instantly asleep whereas my mind is going a million miles an hour. Curse of being a girl I guess. Oh and I have the blanket problem too. :) Maybe when you come back to Idaho you can sneak in a real camping trip. :)

Anonymous said...

Prettier than what I imagined! Jon you are a good photographer. Dad