Thursday, August 2, 2007

My Goodwill Adventure

Wednesday I did not have to work (no surprise there) so I decided to do something I rarely do alone- get out of the house. I admit it. I don't like going out without Jonathan. Before going somewhere I get a bit nervous and want to back out at the last minute. At 9 am I wrote a note to Jonathan telling him where I was going and that I left at 9 am. After systematically planning out my route using our Microsoft Works Suite Streets & Trips program, printing out the directions from each stop to the next and leaving a copy for Jonathan so he knew where I would be if I went missing, I was ready to go. Then I felt my tummy grumble so sat down to eat a snack and started having second thoughts. Maybe I should just sit here on the couch and watch Good Morning America and explore daytime TV all day. But after flipping through the channels and landing on the show with that stupid blond girl acting really stupid with that stupid old guy, I got sick and barfed from watching too much daytime TV, and was out the door by 930 am. Phew!

Anyway it paid off. I had the most fun I've had in a long time (out by myself, that is). First stop, my school to do some errands (boring) and then to Northwest Coffee Co. for a small Americano, half full, and a poppy seed muffin. Unfortunately I was still a bit anxious about my big trip out on the town so I just scarfed the muffin down and took the coffee to go, so didn't get to savor it much. Then following my systematically planned route, I hit Goodwill on Forest Park Ave, the St. Vincents across the street, Goodwill on Olive Blvd. (it took me awhile to get there after I missed my turn), the junky no-name thrift store across the street, the Scholarshop (uppity thrift store), Goodwill on Manchester, and last but not least the grocery store. I got home at 3:30 p.m. I didn't even get to two of my stops either- Goodwill on Morganford and the Scholarshop on Big Bend.

I was seriously pooped after digging through junk all day on an empty stomach, but it was worth it. I saw a lot of good stuff that I wanted to buy but couldn't afford (stupid Goodwill and their high prices!) but did end up with some pretty good loot. I got a big pile of books for my future classroom (gotta start collecting early) all which cost about less than 2 dollars total, one of those bags that lets you hang clothes in it without them getting wrinkled for Jonathan for when he goes to conferences, for 3 dollars, and the Star Wars Trilogy on VHS (the original version) for 6 dollars, and some other junk which I can't remember right now. I also saw a lot of St. Louis that I have never seen before, which isn't much of a surprise, but it was a nice change of scenery. I got some good books. Here they are-




See any you like?

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I actually think I have read most of those. :) What a great find!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I look at used kid's books all the time at Goodwill. Let me know what you're looking for and I'll keep my eyes open too.
Good to see you in Idaho!!
Love ya