Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Saturday Night Date Edited*

Jonathan and I had a nice time Saturday night. We went out to eat to Pho Grand, an inexpensive, but tasty Vietnamese restaurant. The restaurant is in South Grand, a part of town, about two miles from our house that is known for being a multicultural experience for lack of a better term. It features several different types of food including, but not limited to- Vietnamese Ethiopian, Thai, Persian, and Afghan. (do I sound like a commercial?) Plus it is home to Jay's International Market which I got a kick out of. Jonathan didn't want to go in, but I begged him to let us look around for a minute (we were on a date after all). So we got to see frozen swamp eel, green and red bean ice cream bars, and more tasty treats! Plus they have a huge tea selection, which was relatively cheap. I probably could have spent hours there looking at all the strange foreign goodies they carried, but Jonathan dragged me out the door. It made me think of my sister and how she would have enjoyed the experience as much as me, so I decided she needs to come visit, just to come to that store with me. More to come on this later however, as I am planning our extensive itinerary during her visit.

We went to another cool store, called The Future Antiques. It is way overpriced of course, but has lots of cool stuff that makes you feel all nostalgic. For example they carry many of the old pyrex butter dishes your mom has, but you don't and wish you did. They also have lots of the gaudy jewelry like your grandma's, polyester clothes, and many other treasures similar to those found at my great-grandmother's yard sale. Yes, yes, my eyes had quite the feast with all the many things to look at in the international market and antique store on South Grand.

*I realized my link didn't work when I first posted this, so I fixed it. But I also realized the "butter dish" I am talking about is technically a "refigerator dish." I still like it best as a butter dish though.

5 comments:

alicia marie said...

I have the pyrex butter dish of your dreams, Sage! it is the milky white with olive green flowers on the lid...it looks exactly like this one.
http://www.prestoimage.com/store/graphics/730_pd235359_1.jpg

I got it when we first got married at some thrift store, I'm sure, and I don't understand how anyone survives without one!

alicia marie said...

and I thought I was so cool.....


:*(

Sage said...

Don't worry, you can be cool too... Just not as cool :)

Anonymous said...

You know how the restaurant is called Pho Grand? Well, its actually named after my number one favorite food of all time, called Pho. Pho is Vietnamese beef noodle soup. I had told you already about my second favorite Vietnamse dish: charbroiled pork but I didn't mention the soup because I don't think you would like it. Actually, the first time I tried Pho I didn't like it at all but after a few tries I became convinced that this was the best and healthiest meal on the planet. Pho is my ultimate comfort food.

Anonymous said...

Sage

Hehe. Sorry, when I first read the title to this post, I thought you were being silly. Like you were writing the "censored" edition of your date with Jonathan. hehe. Nevermind. I'm being dumb.

Love, Erika